- My Home
- My Overview
- My Sponsored Children
- My Giving & Account
- Country & Project Updates
- My Sponsorship Guide
- Share Sponsorship
A glimpse into the life of your sponsored child's community
Weather in Kolwezi
2013Thanks to the generous support of our sponsors, World Vision was able to work alongside communities to accomplish the following in 2013.
- 5,619 girls and boys received spiritual encouragement through activities like Sunday school classes and Easter and Christmas celebrations.
Food and Agriculture
- Assisted 300 households in purchasing additional land to expand their farms.
- Educated 161 people about better farming methods, enabling them to increase food production.
- Supported community-led savings groups, which helped give 280 families access to seeds and fertilizer so they can produce foods like maize, groundnuts, soy beans, and okra.
- Helped 9,805 children receive immunizations, and 4,160 children receive vitamin A supplements, protecting them from disease.
- Provided training for parents on how to prepare oral re-hydration therapy for children suffering from diarrhea--702 children have recovered so far.
- Helped 107 previously malnourished children regain their health, thanks to a partnership with the World Food Program.
- Coordinated with the local department of health to provide prenatal consultations for 986 pregnant women.
- Assisted 614 women with voluntary HIV testing to reduce the spread of the disease.
- Protected 2,217 children against malaria by raising community awareness on the correct use of insecticide-treated bed nets and the importance of having children sleep under them.
- Trained 8,479 people about the risks and transmission of HIV in an effort to prevent the disease.
- Worked with local churches to spread awareness about HIV and AIDS prevention.
Water and Sanitation
- Provided borehole wells, giving 9,500 people access to clean drinking water and protecting them from waterborne diseases.
- Educated families on how to prevent disease through proper hand-washing practices.
- Equipped schools with classroom materials and hygienic toilets so 6,974 boys and girls could enjoy a better learning environment.
- Provided training for 53 teachers to improve their skills and enhance the quality of education available for children.
- Enabled 100 moms and dads to participate in school decision-making through parent committees, encouraging them to promote higher-quality education for their children.
- Helped establish 40 community coalition care groups that look after the needs of orphans and vulnerable children.
- Helped 5,378 girls and boys experience love and encouragement in caring environments through children's clubs, Sunday school groups, scouting, and other programs that promote protecting children's rights.