A glimpse into the life of your sponsored child's community
Weather in Himaya
2014Thanks to the generous support of our sponsors, World Vision was able to work alongside communities to accomplish the following in 2014.
- We partnered with 35 churches to serve the community and provide spiritual nurture for over 4,000 children and their families.
- Community savings groups helped 762 new members increase their income. Savings groups provide interest-earning savings accounts and small, affordable loans for people who don’t have access to traditional banking services, empowering them to plan for the future, start businesses, and meet their children’s basic needs.
Food and Agriculture
- In partnership with the Department of Agriculture, we taught farmers to use organic farming techniques that produce healthy foods for families and make the land more sustainable.
- 50 rice farmers took part in a four-month course on crop ecology in which they learned new rice paddy techniques that helped them produce larger crops for their families and communities.
- 92 malnourished children under age 5 received food and vitamin supplements, growth monitoring, and nutrition education in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- 39 youth participated in vocational education to provide them with marketable skills and help them earn income for themselves and their families.
- 22 members of emergency preparedness committees put disaster preparedness plans in place to mitigate the impact of natural disasters such as Typhoon Haiyan.
- Community leaders took part in a series of meetings that equipped them to handle cases of child abuse and child rights violations.
- 3,533 children gathered to celebrate their birthdays. They sang, danced, enjoyed a special meal, and listened to an inspirational message from a local church leader.