- My Home
- My Overview
- My Sponsored Children
- My Giving & Account
- Country & Project Updates
- My Sponsorship Guide
- Share Sponsorship
A glimpse into the life of your sponsored child's community
Weather in Karaba not available
2014Thanks to the generous support of our sponsors, World Vision was able to work alongside communities to accomplish the following in 2014.
- 589 children participated in spiritual nurture events organized in partnership with local churches.
- We provided psychosocial and spiritual support to nine vulnerable families still struggling from the effects of the 1994 Rwandan genocide, as well as furniture and other basic items to improve their living conditions.
- Community members established 45 new savings groups with our help, bringing the total number to 75. Savings groups offer interest-earning savings accounts and small business loans to help people increase their income.
- 34 entrepreneurs were equipped with supplies such as sewing machines to help them start their own businesses.
Food and Agriculture
- 70 farmers were trained in improved farming methods and supplied with seeds and other items, equipping them to grow more food and to pass on what they learned to other farmers in their communities.
- 45 community healthcare workers were trained in the prevention and management of diarrhea, fever, acute respiratory infections, and pneumonia.
- 45 pastors were trained in HIV prevention, care, and advocacy through Channels of Hope, a biblically-based program that equips churches to address deep-seated issues in their communities. In addition, 108 people were trained to raise awareness of HIV prevention and provide home-based care for people affected by HIV or AIDS.
- 180 people, mostly mothers, learned how to prevent and treat malnutrition through our nutrition education workshops.
Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene
- We partnered with community members to rehabilitate an 11-mile water pipeline, bringing clean water to more than 12,800 people. The pipeline also serves three schools, a health center, and nearby markets. In addition, we provided five families with rainwater-harvesting tanks.
- 77 orphans and other vulnerable children were able to stay in school thanks to scholarships for their education expenses.