A glimpse into the life of your sponsored child's community
Weather in Karaba not available
Community NewsThanks to the generous support of our sponsors, World Vision was able to work alongside communities to accomplish the following in 2012.
- Facilitated training for 23 community members to promote peace and reconciliation among survivors of the 1994 Rwandan Genocide.
- Worked to strengthen 26 community organizations, such as agricultural cooperatives in income generating activities, helping families improve their economic circumstances.
- 150 community members participated in training to develop entrepreneurial skills, equipping them to start income generating activities.
Food and Agriculture
- Helped establish 5,000 kitchen gardens, increasing household access to nutritious vegetables.
- Trained 210 community health workers in child nutrition and the importance of breastfeeding.
- Partnered with community health workers to provide nutritional rehabilitation programs for 100 malnourished children.
- Worked with the community to construct a new health center, increasing community access to quality health services.
- Collaborated with community care coalitions and church leaders to provide food and housing materials for orphans and vulnerable children and people living with HIV and AIDS.
- Supported 88 vulnerable families with construction materials, such as iron sheeting, to help improve their living conditions.
- Trained HIV positive pregnant women in the prevention of mother-to-child transmission.
- Provided 50 community health workers with education on deworming, handwashing, and treatment of acute respiratory infections and diarrheal diseases.
- Supported the construction a new vocational training center, as well as 5 classrooms and 12 latrines in a local primary school, working to increase access to education for all children.
- Assisted 188 students with educational fees, enabling them to stay in school.